Pages

12 November 2013

Ode to the Last First Date

If it's cheesy to still celebrate your dating anniversary after you're married, then I'd like a whole wheel of triple cream brie. Mr. Sweetie and I had our first date nine years ago today, back in 2004. We were young when we met - early 20s - and while at the time I felt like I was so mature and knew everything in life and exactly what I wanted, I've realized over the past nine years that I was pretty much a kid when it came to "knowing it all" and thank goodness Mr. Sweetie has always been wise beyond his years AND willing to put up with my growing pains as I figured out my goals in life much later than he did and grew into a person who is much different at 32 than she was at 23 when we had that first date.

Happy Together!
And I do have to say, our first date was one of the best first dates out there, which easily led to really great second and third dates which eventually led to an engagement and a fulfilling marriage. Even in just those first few weeks, I knew he was a keeper.

He called when he said he would. This was a big one. There were no games and he never kept me waiting by the phone, wondering if he would actually follow through. Right from the start, he always called when he said he would and that continues to this day. There is nothing overrated about security and reliability like that. I never had to wonder if I mattered enough to warrant a phone call - he has always made me feel like I am worth it.

He asked me on a second date, even though (looking back) my choice of outfit was horrendous. Flared, shiny corduroys paired with a jean jacket. And ridiculous blond highlights. Sometimes I wish I could go slap some fashion sense into my early 20s self. Thank goodness he didn't hold this flaw against me.

 The man cooks! Real food! ALL THE TIME! Stuffed peppers, lentil soup, seafood, pasta with homemade sauce. This was about a billion steps up from the nightly dinners I cooked for myself (cereal and toast all day every day). Not only that, he really enjoyed cooking and creating new dishes. It was pretty neat to be with someone who showed me the value of a well-cooked meal. Now I don't think I could ever go back to cereal and toast dinners if I had to fend for myself.

He loves his family. He had photos of his parents and sisters around his apartment and talked to them regularly, and always always always had great things to say about his mom, dad, and three sisters. He always credits his mom and dad for making him into the person he is today. I think that, in most cases, you can tell alot about a person from the relationship they have with their family and I loved how close he was with his.

Just being around him made me want to be a better person. Mr. Sweetie is, hands down, one of the best people I know. And I felt that way about him immediately. His kind words and gestures that he has always shown me every day, right from our first date, have not only made me feel happy and secure and loved but they make me want to do the same for him. He deserves the very best and while I know I'm not perfect, he makes me want to try to be my best self.

I never realized how young we looked until now. Does this mean I'm old? 
Even after nine years together, sometimes I still want to pinch myself that this life we've built together is real and that I have been fortunate enough to end up with someone as great as Mr. Sweetie. I remember thinking, when we first crossed paths at work, that he was WAAAYYY out of my league - kind, handsome, well-mannered, intelligent, driven, secure, and happy. I have memories of being a teenager and having a talk with my dad and him telling me that he feels like my mom is out of his league and wonders how he got so lucky to snag her. And my mom would always say the same thing about him. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - instead, it shows just how high in esteem we should hold our significant other. They really should be the best person we know.


2 comments:

B.o.B. said...

You two are adorable. Happy dating anniversary! ;)

Anonymous said...

Awww, that is so wonderful! And I completely agree with you that "you can tell alot about a person from the relationship they have with their family".

And that reminds me of when I first met you, and you told me about you had met Mark at work. Congrats, happy anniversary!