Pages

19 June 2011

Joys? Wonders? Confessions of Ironman training?

I was this close to wearing my recovery socks to brunch this morning. My legs were that sore post-long run. But then I decided to save my husband and his sister from the embarrassment of being seen with me clad in knee-high socks, and opted to put them on in the car immediately following brunch. Those things are amazing.

We met up with an old friend for dinner tonight. He was the one who got me to do my first (disastrous) triathlon, which we had a lovely time reminiscing about. Someday I'd like to get back into doing some mountain biking and off-road tris.

I'm starting to wonder if your hair can grow mold if it is never, ever completely dry. It's 10:30pm and my hair is still wet. Between the sweat, visits to the pool, and showers between workouts, I don't remember the last time my hair was completely dry.

I'm starting to give up on girly. Not that I've ever been really girly, but I always used to make it a point to wear a dress or something cute to race expos and bike check-ins, you know, just in case anyone forgot I was a girl since most of my time was spent in sweaty workout clothes. Now I'm starting to forget what cute dresses and skirts I own, but I can tell you all about my favorite tee-shirts and such. I even bought a dress made out of wicking material... and I wear it all the time. It's also a black dress, so you can't tell if I get bike grease on it. I can't say that about any of my Lilly Pulitzers...

Today's run was... hard. But in a good way. I think my body is still getting used to the idea of running more than 13 miles, seeing as it starts to get noticeably sore around mile 15. It better get used to the idea quickly because Placid is in a little over a month and there's definitely more than a 15 mile run involved with that race.

Next week is a monster training week. I don't know if it is a peak week and then the taper starts, but it's definitely up there. The hours are literally like having a part-time job. I'm also hungry all of the time. And I mean all of the time. Do you know how much willpower I had to exert tonight in order to not grab the breadbasket off the restaurant table, cradle it in my arms, and croon "Mine, mine... my precious, my precious." I also bonked in the pool. Who bonks in the pool? Especially when they JUST ate not too long before going to the pool. Next time, I'm going to be armed with snacks, signs prohibiting food on the pool deck be damned!

Oh, and before I sign off - a very important message! Happy father's day to my dad! As well as my father-in-law (who officially became a triathlete in May!) Love you both!

No comments: