Pages

13 June 2012

Feeling a little MIA

I've been feeling a bit detached and MIA lately.  Training for Placid has ramped up in recent weeks and I just feel behind in life.  I think this would still be the case, even without the additional hours of training, but I guess without the training I'd be a bit less tired.  For example - on days that I swim, I am on my bike on the way to the pool before 5am.  And I don't get back home from my house until sometime after 7pm when I am done with work.  Then this leaves me with about 2-2.5 hours of time to fold laundry (or at least do the laundry so I have something to fold), chase tumbleweeds of animal hair with a vacuum cleaner, make and consume dinner, say hello to my other half, fit in an evening workout if I didn't get it taken care of that morning, update the blog, catch up on other blogs (which I am so behind in doing, BTW).  And go to bed.  Sadly, I'm rarely motivated enough to do housework and thank goodness Mr. Sweetie likes to cook; otherwise it would be tempting to revert back to my cereal-for-dinner ways, and all I really want to do is veg in front of the tv in front of The Office (a newly-discovered find on Netflix streaming - 7 seasons for freeeeeee)!  I haven't spoken to friends on the phone in what seems like forever.  Speaking of phones, I bought my new phone in March and I have yet to set up my voicemail (I also only checked my voicemail about once a quarter, so this whole not setting up my voicemail is sort of preventative action - if I can't get voicemails, I don't have to check them).  Today I finally updated Training Peaks, poor Jen got a data bomb of about three weeks worth of workouts, pre-dating Memorial Day weekend.  We went out and were social this weekend with friends - but sadly, when we left the bar to go home to bed, it was still light outside.  So yes, Ironman training gets part of the blame here.  I'm more focused than I have been in years past, I care more about this race than I have in previous years.  I'm not screwing up my training or recovery time by doing karaoke and sake bombs on a Friday night.  I don't go out during the week, I rarely go out on the weekends unless it's 7am and I'm on my bike or wearing my run shoes.  I like how focused I am right now, I feel like I have a purpose and a goal and that's a really neat feeling in general.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It was good to see/ride with you this morning! Stick with it -- the end is in sight. It's just a matter of rolling with the punches for a little while. Don't forget to listen to your body; sometimes a night out, or a day of sleeping in, is just what the doctor ordered. Gotta live life, after all!

Katie said...

I feel like I was just here, in this place you are talking about! and you are almost coming out the other side. hang in there little muffin, rest is coming!

JV said...

You are going to have a great IM!! Enjoy the journey too.

Caroline said...

Damon, it was great to briefly catch up with you yesterday! Katie, I am totally where you were a few weeks ago, I remember reading your blog and thinking that I would be sharing the pain soon. Thanks for the encouragement Jamie! How is KONA training going?!?!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh but you got the special
Superpowered treats right? Cut yourself some slack and remember that if u need sleep that wins/trumps any non BT wko. It's hard I know but remember you GET to do An IM! That is so cool!!