Pages

27 September 2009

Oh 90's Memories!

First of all, I have to say congratulations to Erin and Ashley on the birth of their beautiful daughter (and my beautiful goddaughter!) Reagan Kylene on Wednesday 23 September 2009! Seven pounds, five ounces, and cute as anything! I can't wait to meet her and spoil her rotten!

I'm in the midst of writing my final papers for my Masters degree. True to form, I've been procrastinating on doing the research and the writing. I spent this evening, a Saturday evening to be exact, doing research. And surfing iTunes. iTunes puts together these mixes of songs that were popular in 1999, 2003, etc. Well, tonight was my lucky night and I came across an iTunes mix entitled "High School Crush: The 90s." AWESOME! I had forgotten that half of these songs even existed! Listening to the music on there has TOTALLY brought me back to middle school, and even parts of high school and college, but mostly middle school. Honestly, I hated the majority of middle school, but for whatever reason, listening to these songs brings back only happy memories, so I guess it couldn't have been that bad. Here's a little selection of songs/memories, in no particular order...

- "Baby, I Love Your Way" by Big Mountain: 5th/6th grade field trips

- "The Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe: sophomore year spring track with Megan and Rachel who were actually freshmen at the time

- "Swear it Again" by Westlife: freshman/sophomore years of college, living in the 400s with Erin and Lynn, talking about our sucky love lives.

- "Stay (I Missed You)" by Lisa Loeb: school dances freshman year of high school and HOPING someone would ask me to dance. I think that happened maybe once.

- "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston: sixth grade and going to my first birthday party where BOYS were actually invited, including one I had a total crush on - I think I told my mom that after the fact and she was NOT happy. And I think we sang this song on Karaoke over and over and over at the party.

- "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole: summer after sophomore year of high school and going biking out in Gloucester with my very first boyfriend ever. I felt so grown up! Unfortunately, I didn't have my mad, crazy bike mechanical skills that I currently possess today (ha) and when I got a flat tire halfway through and didn't know how to fix it, my very first boyfriend ever had to bike all the way back to his truck and drive back to pick me up.

- "Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Savage Garden: winter of my junior year of high school, I think my boyfriend and I had just broken up so this song was just depressing.

- "On Bended Knee" by Boyz II Men: Heather's 13th birthday party she got the Boys II Men CD - as well as practically every single middle school dance during 8th grade

- "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie and the Blowfish: eighth grade, going to church youth groups not because of God but because I had a crush on a certain boy in that youth group.

- "Step By Step" by NKOTB: ALL of late elementary/early middle school. I was super cool in my acid washed jean jacket covered in b NKOTB buttons, worn over my NKOTB t-shirt, accessorized with my NKOTB baseball hat (with a few NKOTB buttons pinned on, of course!)

- "Can't Help Falling in Love" UB40: cross-country meets in eighth grade. Why? I have no idea.

I get a kick out of what memories music can instantly bring to mind, even if you haven't heard/thought about a song in years! And I always used to think my mom was a dork when she'd hear an old disco song on the radio and say "Ohh, Earth, Wind, and Fire, 1975, I was in high school....yada yada yada..." And now I totally understand...

No comments: