Pages

26 December 2012

LAST post about 2012. I promise.

I'm in a mood to reminisce, so please humor me.
I've recapped how I did in terms of the athletic goals and non-athletic goals I set for myself in 2012.  And while I finalize the goals and race schedule for 2013, I wanted to take a quick look back at this past year, which will go down in the history books as one of my favorites.

Favorite Race?
That would have to be AG Nationals up in Burlington, VT.  I managed to eek out a PR and went sub-2:30 for the first time in an Olympic Triathlon.  Even though this was a slow time compared to many other girls in my age group, this was hands down the most fun race weekend I had all year, with fun friends, my family coming to cheer, and hotel swim starts.
Basking in post-race glory
Least Favorite Race?
This will be the last time I ever talk about Vegas 70.3 until next year when I start talking smack to build up my confidence going into the 2013 70.3 World Championships.  I melted into a puddle of pavement on that run course and I have zero pictures that do the race justice.  Best part of race weekend was watching Andy and Mel take tequila shots.

Favorite Race Moment?
It's hard to pick just one.  One of the high points during a race was when I was keeping my target pace during Poconos 70.3 and not letting my head get the better of me.  One of my most favorite post-race moments was watching the midnight finish at IMLP and eating chocolate cake with Mindy, Kristin, Melanie and other friends while cheering in the last finishers.
Post-chocolate cake binge
Least favorite race moment?
During my terrible run leg at IMLP, the one thought that kept running through my head was crap, you get to come back and do this same thing NEXT YEAR because you are dumb and already signed yourself up.  That was a low point.  I'm much more content with my race registration decision now, especially because so many of my friends are doing the race and I feel it in my bones that 2013 is THE year that I will conquer Ironman in Lake Placid.  But at the time, when I felt like poo, this was not a high point of my race season.
Do I look as pathetic as I felt?  This is NOT the face of someone thrilled with her performance.
Favorite Trip?
I traveled alot this year, with April being the month with the most trips.  Out of the trips to Burkina Faso, Paris, Tucson, Phoenix, NH, VT, Vegas, Cape Cod, Lake Placid, and Nashville it is hard to choose just one.  Paris was great because I got to spend time with Chelsea, who I NEVER get to see anymore.  And Tucson for triathlon camp always tops my list as a favorite vacation - I love the people there, climbing Mount Lemmon, and the trail running (minus the cacti).  And the other travels brought me to see family and friends around the country.  And going to Burkina always broadens my perspective on things, and sometimes that is desperately needed.  So no, I can't pick just one.  I choose them all.

Changes?
One of the biggest changes this year was leaving Team Z to move over to Team Ignite Endurance.  It was a really cool opportunity and I didn't want to pass it up.  I've gotten the chance to meet some great people in the triathlon community, become closer friends with a group of awesome athletes, and partner with Tri360, a fantastic tri shop in Arlington, VA.

I think that caps off the favorite/least favorite things of the year.  If 2013 is anything like 2012 was in terms of race successes and training partners, I think it will be a great year!

No comments: