Pages

10 February 2010

Snoverkill

Seriously... I've been in DC for almost six years and I've always wanted to experience a "DC Snowstorm." I'd heard rumors that the city shuts down if there's alot of snow, that people freak out, that it's a modern-day version of the blizzards Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in her Little House on the Prairie books. While being snowbound has had its advantages - bonding with neighbors over the shared misery of shoveling multiple feet of snow, an excuse to bake (and eat) chocolate chip cookies and other junk (need to build the fat stores just in case we lose power and heat), sledding (though that's more fun if you have the proper equipment), and your office shutting down for multiple days in one week. Being snowbound also has disadvantages, especially in DC. Sidewalks are buried under snowdrifts as tall as me, we've taken the car out ONCE - no twice - in the past six days because we're afraid we won't make it back up the steep road to our house, metro stops running its busses and above-ground trains making it near impossible to get to work, and some streets are still unplowed, oh and I haven't touched pool water since Thursday of last week because all of the INDOOR pools have been closed. Running is a bit treacherous, even with my snow chains, the bike path has been missing for almost a week, and I just plain don't want to be outside working out - it isn't fun. In fact, I literally have not stepped across the threshold of my door since coming home from work last night.

Fortunately, it appears that this may be the last significant snow for the foreseeable future. I'm going to get my running in somehow during the next few days and my fingers are crossed that the pool will be open by Sunday because I MISS SWIMMING! On the upside, me and my bike haven't missed ANY quality time together.

We've misplaced our USB cord for our camera - once we find it I will upload the pictures from Snowpacolypse, Son of Snowmaggeddon, Snoverkill, whatever you want to call the weather we've been having for the past week.

Next week is a HUGE training week for me - fingers crossed that the weather helps make it a pleasant week too.

I'd say I need to go to bed now so I can get up for swimming in the morning, but all of the pools are closed.

No comments: