Pages

30 May 2012

2012 = Summer of Swimming

I've declared Summer 2012 to be the Summer of Swimming.  It's been said that you can't win a triathlon in the swim, but you can definitely lose it.  Swimming has always been (and continues to be, though to a lesser extent thank goodness) a liability for me.  I did not grow up a swimmer.  I quit swim lessons at age 6 and for the next 14 years, any swimming I did consisted of dog-paddling around my neighbor's pool.  I did dog paddle/sidestroke for my first triathlon (aaaand maybe for my second and third and fourth triathlons too...).  I'm comfortable in the water, it's always been more of a problem of swim technique (i.e., it was nonexistent) than being uncomfortable in the water.  I started learning the proper way to swim once I joined Team Z a number of years ago.  Then I started swimming more than twice a week and saw more improvement.  And this summer I took the plunge - I heard about the Summer Morning Masters swim program at Hain's Point that goes from Memorial Day to about Labor Day.  Two choices of AM swim practice times, 90 minute sessions 5 days a week IN AN OUTDOOR 50 METER POOL.  I saw that and was like, where do I sign up??!!  Yesterday I went to my first practice.  It was dark when I arrived, but as practice continued on, the sun slowly started to creep above the horizon.  The air and water temperatures were perfect, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else, it was fantastic.  I think I got in just about 3900m and I loved (almost) every second of it (by the 6th 100 IM, I wouldn't have protested if practice ended).  I'm not going to be able to make it to the pool five days a week, but I'd imagine I'll be there at least 3-4 days/week.  Another bonus is that Hain's Point is on my way to work AND is the perfect place to do biking and running post-swim.  The summer of swimming has BEGUN!!  

8 comments:

The Miller Family said...

See this is AWESOME!!!! I would LOVE a program like this...I think it will make a huge difference.

Happy IM's this summer Caroline!

Unknown said...

Right there with ya. Oorah!

Katie said...

ok, yup, now I'm jealous. enjoy that gorgeous pool!!!

LoveOfShoes said...

I'm really jealous. I may have to suck it up and join you all, I was swimming all along on Tuesday in the basement 84 degree pool and all I could think about was you guys!

Sarah said...

jealous. I wanted to join the program but missed out on it.

Caroline said...

I've never enjoyed swimming as much as I am now, that's for sure. I am VOLUNTARILY waking up at 4:30am and getting to the pool BEFORE practice starts. They might be taking more people, I'm not really sure.

JV said...

50 meter outdoor pool! Wow that is awesome! You will reap the rewards with all that swimming. You are rockin your races keep up the momentum! Thanks for your note- we are enjoying tri as a family- off to Kansas next where the kids and I get to race.

Melissa said...

You know I love this! Though I am jealous of your 50m outdoor pool.