Pages

16 January 2013

It hit me like a ton of breasts!

Senior year of college, my roommates and I had a quote wall in our townhouse.  Erin was the author of that gem in the subject line.  She meant to say "it hit me like a ton of bricks" but somehow a slip of tongue resulted in something much funnier.  Before we packed up and shipped out after graduation, one of my other roommates, Melissa, took the time to transcribe what was on the quote wall and gave us each a copy.  I still have mine somewhere and it cracks me up every time I come across it.
Strawberry Daiquiris were the bomb back in the day.  Obviously.
So where am I going with this?  Sadly, not back to college.

Training.  This morning TRAINING hit me like a ton of breasts.  I was walking up to my office from the gym and all I wanted was a NAP.  It was 9:30am and I wanted a nap.  And during my informal 10am meeting in one of the common area booths, I found myself thinking gee, this bench is awfully comfortable.  I wonder how long I could nap for before someone noticed.  I didn't take a nap, but wow was it tempting.  And I am not a napper, I rarely even nap when I am sick.

So what gives?  My body has that I'm in the middle of Ironman training feeling but I've done no workout lasting over 90 minutes this week.  A couple runs, a few swims, a bike ride, a TRX session (that literally whooped my sorry glutes).  While I've been doing all of my prescribed workouts over the past month or so, I've really made it a point to focus and do everything the workout says this week - every interval, hit the right intensity level, no cutting swims short, and FOCUS during TRX.  My body is probably in a bit of shock right now and thinks I'm being super mean to it (don't worry, I feed it chocolate every night to placate it. Best idea ever.).  I've also been total crap in the sleep department this week and I think that is catching up to me. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying this tired feeling. When I do finally go to bed, I'm asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow - the kind of falling asleep where you are so tired you find yourself drooling (or is that just me?) and you can actually see the previous day slip further and further into oblivion as you fall deeper into sleep.  I feel like I'm EARNING that jar of peanut butter that has sat on my desk all week (opened on Monday, mostly gone by COB today).  So happy to be training again.

And with that, I'm off to bed!    
  

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Good for you! I was feeling that way last week - all good in the hard training way - until Allie brought a cold home from daycare and gave it to me. Generous baby. Now I feel like that hit me like a ton of sore throat. Hope to ride today, though.
Thanks for your comment. I haven't exactly publicized the new training blog, but I guess I better write like somebody's reading now! :-)