Pages

25 January 2010

Living the College Life

My husband has been out of town for the past two weeks, causing me to somewhat revert back to some old college habits - mac and cheese for dinner multiple times a week (no fun when cooking for one), going to happy hour, going out to bars until 2am on the weekends, and letting house get, ummmm, a bit messy.

So even though I've really missed Mark and this house has felt FAR too big and lonely these past two weeks, I did have a good time catching up with friends, having a girls-only weekend with my college roomie Melissa, and eating mac and cheese whenever I wanted. But I'm exhausted (how DID I live through 4 years of college in one piece?) and more than ready for Mark to be home and get back into being domestic (well, my definition of domestic, which I suppose wouldn't be much by other peoples' standards :).

Fortunately for me, he will be home in just a little more than 24 hours! I can't wait!

Training has been going well, even with my late nights out on the town. The bike ride on the trainer on Saturday had me swearing under my breath, in a good way I suppose. And I guess it really wasn't under my breath... good thing Melissa was two floors above me! Alternating between high RPMs and pushing the big gear, I couldn't decide which one I hated more. But I felt good in the end and was glad I did it, as always. Sunday I went running with Brian - we ran 11 miles at about an 8:37 pace, staying mostly in Zones 2 and 3 (okay, so maybe I spent a bit more time in zone 3 than zone 2). According to Brian, this was the first time he'd run more than 10 miles since high school. He's a fast runner and now that he knows he can do it without blowing up, I'm sure he's going to leave me in the dust next time around :) He's doing his first 1/2 ironman at Lake Anna in May and I'm sure it will go just fine for him. My swim yesterday was really good - I love swimming again, absolutely love it. Although, I don't know how much I will love it tomorrow morning when I have my swim threshold test. I suppose now would be a good time to locate my waterproof watch so I can catch my splits :)

Cross my fingers for not drowning in the pool tomorrow!

Oh, and I've decided to add a new feature to my blog every now and then. Let's call it "Things Witnessed on Metro and MetroBus"
- On metro going home: two out-of-shape middle-aged men stripping down to their t-shirts and flexing their biceps for comparison. Ugh.

2 comments:

KevOnLeTrail said...

Howdy!

Just finished some veg lasagna (mostly cheese and more cheese with a leaf of spinach as an afterthought), so we're on the same diet.

Weather's warming, so maybe see if we can get a run in together sometime soon. What distance are you up to? Don't even know your training routine, but let's see if we can coincide somehow.

Caroline said...

Hey! Yes, we should definitely do a run! I did 11 miles this past weekend. THis week is a recovery week for me, but I should be getting up to 13-15 miles in the next few weeks.
Mmm, the lasagna sounds good - sure beats the mac and cheese I've been living off of for far too long!